The Plant-for-the-Planet Certificate – more than climate neutral: We plant trees on the Yucatán Peninsula which capture CO2 and have valuable co-benefits for the sustainable
development for the people on-site. Furthermore we educate children to become Climate Justice Ambassadors and support them in the years to come. The ambassadors spread the word about climate neutrality and about how companies become major players in climate policy.
Additionally the carbon emissions are compensated with another project with Gold Standard.
The opportunity: Climate neutrality triggers a positive chain reaction – planting trees for the future of the children.
Planting and caring for carbon compensating trees
Empowering and supervising Climate Justice Ambassadors
Cancel CO2 Certificates from Gold Standard projects
Start a positive chain reaction
Contribute to all 17 Sustainable Development Goals set by the UN
Become a role model as a first-mover
Under this project, Plant-for-the-Planet is currently planting trees on the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico. With the help of research by a team of independent scientists, we make sure that every tree planted in context of climate neutrality will absorb 500 kilogram of CO2 - which will be long term bound in wood.
Here are some of the advantages of our current plantation project:
1. Faster growth: The growth of trees at the Yucatan Peninsula is 4 times of that in Germany.
2. Cost-Effectiveness: Faster growth of trees lead to faster rate of CO2 binding, making this method of CO2 compensation cost effective.
3. Efficiency: The plantation team, currently consisting of 100 on-ground workers in Mexico, plants and nurtures every tree for just € 1 each, achieving a survival rate of 94%, which is more than four times of that in the region.
4. Scientific backing: The afforestation project is accompanied and scientifically evaluated by the Crowther Lab at ETH Zurich, including measuring of parameters, such as how amount of the carbon bound by the trees.
5. Transparency: Daily reports document the expenses and the progress of the planting. The area is precisely recorded and the individual trees planted are localized per hectare.
6. Fair and sustainable: We offer the on-ground workers above-average social benefits.
7. Looking at the bigger picture - the overall project supports all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and enhances jobs, and prosperity in the communities of the Global South.
If you go climate-neutral with Plant-for-the-Planet, you invest twice in the future:
1. Tree-planting: To compensate carbon emissions, we plant trees on our planting area on the Yucatán Peninsula. They are also a part of the on-going Trillion Tree Campaign launched by Plant-for-the-Planet.
2. Education and capacity building of children and youth: The project also then supports Plant-for-the-Planet Academies, which are one-day long free peer-training sessions for children and youth, where they are taught about basics of climate change, and trained to become “Climate Justice Ambassadors”.
This empowerment of children and youth enables them to transmit the ideas as multipliers. They give speeches at their schools and at events, i.e. your company’s next event!
You can join the planting action at an academie. Anyone can plant a tree, whether he or she is a child or a CEO!
Help us build and enrich the worldwide network: already more than 75,000 children in 71 countries are officially trained Climate Justice Ambassadors. They are getting more and more!